11/8/13

Weekly wrap-up

This week has been all over the map in terms of structure and emotion.  It would seem that the lesson plans that God had for us this week didn't quite match my own.

This week we learned a lot about life.  There were transparent conversations about our financial situation when hubby's pay check was $200 less than it had been for the past two years.  And when your paycheck is small to begin with... 

We talked about friendships and the importance of seeking out people who will build you up while avoiding those who would tear you down.

And we talked about death and grieving and unanswered prayers when the four year old son of my middle child's Awana small group leader (and my sister's best friend) died from a rare auto-immune disorder called HLH.  A disorder that he was diagnosed with merely 3 weeks ago.  Less than a month ago, he was a happy, seemingly healthy 4 year old.  

Sometimes the lessons are academic - reading, writing and 'rithmatic.  But sometimes they're more powerful.  Sometimes they're lessons of the heart.  And it's in these times that I pray that my children are seeing me live out my faith, hearing me praise in the storm, feeling the grace and peace that only comes from God.

While I hate the material, I'm grateful that God called me stand in the front of the class for my kids as they learn these lessons.


    “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” 
    John 16:32-33 
On a side note, if you would like to assist this precious family in a practical way, please go to http://www.gofundme.com/TJThomas