Basically, we attended a marriage retreat hosted by our church. The time away was a blessing, the company was fun, the information was good and the setting was beautiful:
It had been a long time since we had had the opportunity to do something like that. And honestly, I had forgotten how beneficial it can be. (*Disclaimer - full disclosure here - yes, I do spend the first 12 hours away from my kids having to force myself to relax. And let's not even talk about the anxiety involved in walking into a "ballroom" of a hotel filled with a
million thirty other couples that are going to be staring at you when you walk in. Anxiety attack much? Thank you Jesus for the gift of Xanax. *)
So, anyway, here are my 5 reasons you should go on a marriage retreat (ranked in a husband's priority):
5. The drive to and from the event creates an environment that almost demands conversation. So if you have those things that you need to talk about but haven't had the chance to, or haven't ever been able to finish the conversation, now you have a captive audience. That being said, however, do be willing to pull the car over and get out if the thermostat on the conversation becomes heated. You do not need an emotionally stressed driver.
4. Along with that, I think that you can be more vulnerable in your conversation with your spouse if you are in a place where you're not worried about having to be somewhere or someone needing something. There is a freedom that comes with that. The conversations you're able to have in your hotel room, at dinner, or just walking around can be so much more raw and real.
3. Fellowship with other believers, other couples is just such a blessing. And it is difficult to make that happen when you have to work around the babysitter's schedule.
2. Regardless of what stage, state or season your marriage is in, you will learn something about your marriage and about your relationship. You may learn a better way to communicate. You may learn that you're not alone in your particular struggle. You may learn that you're not as bad off as you thought you were! Whatever the lesson, I promise, you will learn something.
1. No worries about the kids walking in on ya during sex. You could even walk around the hotel room naked if you wanted to.
I wonder how many babies are conceived on marriage retreats? Someone should do a study....
Linked up at www.weirdunsocializedhomeschoolers.com