11/25/13

Eureka! I've got it! *did you say that with a British accent, or is that just me?*

Do you ever read a book and spend most of the time trying to figure out where the title came from? I do. I can't stand to have an unknown gnawing at me. I want everything to be clear and crisp. I want the answer. In fact, one of the quickest ways to get under my skin is to tell me you have a secret, and then not tell me what it is. Drives me crazy!!

So, I've been gnawing on the problem I mentioned in my last post. What is the point of this blog? Why do I struggle with the idea of just sharing our story? What did I think it was supposed to be about?

And I finally figured it out.

I started this with the idea that I was going to write a homeschool blog. Here's the problem with that. I don't consider myself to be a homeschool mom. Instead, I consider myself to be a mom who homeschools.

Did you catch the difference?

First and foremost, I am a mom to three amazing people. It just happens, in the course of that "momness" that God has led our family to homeschool.

See the education, the "reading, 'riting and 'rithmatic" part of this, is just one part. And if I'm honest, it's one of the smallest parts.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in the value of a solid education.

But even more, I believe in the value of a solid character. And that is what God is calling me to build into my children.

Proverbs 22:6 - "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Deuteronomy 6:4-8 - "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."

I don't want this to be a "homeschool blog". I don't want to just write about our homeschool story.

I just want to write about the story of our family. The struggles and triumphs that come with being a mom.

And I want to hear your stories too. Regardless of how you choose to educate your children. Because being a mom is hard. But it's good.

Love,

~T