11/28/13

Thankfulness

The trend this month on Facebook was to post a "thankful" post every day for the entire month.  Not that I'm not thankful, but after awhile it starts to sound redundant and obvious.  There are only so many ways you can say you're thankful for your God and your family.  And really, I'm lucky to remember to brush my hair every day!  And I'm supposed to remember to post a thankfulness post everyday.  Yea, no.


But I am thankful.  And I hope that I show my thankfulness not just for this season.  But in every day, and in everything,

We were blessed this week to sit under the teaching of a precious friend during our community Thanksgiving service.  And William reminded us that, like Habakkuk, despite our circumstance, our situation, or anything else, we are to be thankful...anyhow.

Our circumstances have been less than ideal.  My husband, our sole provider, has been in a thankless and sorely underpaid job for several years.  But in the midst of the emotional and financial and even spiritual trial, we have much to be thankful for.  

I'm thankful for the openness we have with our children.  That they understand true gratitude and selflessly give themselves and sometimes their belongings to show love to others.

I'm thankful for a husband who works hard and tirelessly to provide what he can.

I'm thankfully to God for providing what my husband cannot.

I'm thankful for the humility that comes with being in our situation.  We've been here so long that we're just too tired to be anything but wide open with our needs and our hearts.  And as a result, God has consistently provided for us through the grace of others.

I'm thankful that we do have a roof over our heads and food in our bellies and clothes on our backs. And I'm thankful that we have loved ones who would never allow that to change.

I'm thankful for friends who listen when it becomes too overwhelming and pray for us, for me.  For friends with whom we can also rejoice.

I'm thankful for laughter and cuddles, for chocolate and wool socks.

And I'm so very thankful that the one who created me, who knew me in my mother's womb, who knows all things and commands all things... that He promises to love me and provide for me and make all things work for my good and to His glory.  That my God, my Abba, has me tightly in the palm of His hand.  And that even though I can't see the end of this season of our lives, He already knows it and has planned it perfectly for us.  And that I can rest in the knowledge that God is God.  God is good.  And He always does what it best for His people.

Yes, on mountain tops and in valleys, we have much to be thankful for...anyhow.

"Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, 
 yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. 
 GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places." Habakkuk 3:17-19